March 22, 2012 8:00 - 10:00 P.M.
- Individual Autonomy
- "It is both an ideal and an assumption of traditional conceptions of justice for liberal democracies that citizens are autonomous, self-governing persons. Yet standard accounts of the self and of self-government at work in such theories are hotly disputed and often roundly criticized in most of their guises."
- So says John Christman in his book entitled The Politics of Persons: Individual Autonomy and Socio-historical Selves.
- What are our ideas of autonomy?
- How can we achieve autonomy?
- What does autonomy mean for social movements such as the Arab Spring and Occupy?
- Also, what is the relationship of individual autonomy to social networking and online discussion?